Planned Giving and
CHC's Legacy Society
As part of Covenant House California’s upcoming 25th anniversary in 2013, a Legacy Society has been established to recognize the generosity of donors who want their personal legacy to include support for CHC’s ongoing work with homeless youth.
CHC Board member William Brodhead will lead the Legacy Society. Brodhead recently made his own legacy gift to CHC and encourages others to do the same. “It’s sad to say, but unfortunately, there are so many young people who end up homeless. Covenant House California is an important institution and should be preserved for the benefit of youth with nowhere to go and no one to turn to. Legacy Gifts will help to ensure that CHC survives for the long term,” he says.
Legacy Gifts, often referred to as Planned Gifts, can maximize the benefits of charitable giving and minimize tax liabilities to the donor at the same time. To join the Legacy Society, one simply needs to identify Covenant House California as the beneficiary of a planned gift. In return, Covenant House California will give special recognition to all Legacy Society members.
In addition, once the gift is realized as a monetary contribution to Covenant House California, the donor’s name will also be placed on the CHC Legacy Society Wall of Fame. Every gift will be used to help maintain CHC’s programs and services for the benefit of homeless and at-risk youth.
“Knowing that you are doing the right thing is very satisfying and I also find that the young people we help are grateful for what we try to do for them,” says Brodhead. “It is my hope that everyone who reads these words will find a way to help in the important work which CHC performs, whether as a volunteer, a contributor or as a member of the Legacy Society.”
If you are interested in becoming part of the Legacy Society, please contact the CHC Development Department at 323-461-3131 ext. 253.
Making a planned gift is a great way to give to Covenant House California. Planned gifts give you the opportunity to maximize the personal benefits of giving to a worthwhile cause, and at the same time you can minimize your income, estate, capital gains, or gift tax liabilities.
Planned gifts can take many forms. Most often they are in the forms of real estate, stock, life insurance, and retirement plan assets.
When making planned gifts, please make sure that CHC is identified as "Covenant House California."
To find out more information about our Planned Giving opportunities, please contact our Development office at 323-461-3131 ext. 253. We look forward to hearing from you.
- Wills or Bequests: You can make an outright gift upon your passing.
- Charitable Remainder Trusts: These trusts high quality administration at no cost to the donor or to the trust. It also provides increased investment flexibility for the donor.
- Gift Annuities: are well-known gift plans that provides fixed and guaranteed income for life in exchange for your gift of cash or stock. The combination of simplicity, affordability, fixed lifetime payments at a high rate, some tax-free income, and a substantial tax deduction make this the most popular gift plan for our donors over aged 70.
- Pooled Income Funds: These gifs can provide immediate income for life for a contribution as affordable as $5,000.
- Charitable Retirement Annuities: provide guaranteed income to you at a very attractive rate beginning in a future year of your choice. It allows you to lock in guaranteed retirement income free from market risk, while taking a deduction this year for a large portion of the value of your contribution and giving our kids a chance for a rewarding life.